One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gregory Rabassa, Gabriel García Márquez Overall, I can say I enjoyed it & am glad to have read it. Parts were entertaining/interesting/funny; I found more of it to be somewhat sad/depressing than not. My favorite characters were Úrsula & Melquíades. I also LOVED the ending -- brilliant & wonderful. I can see how, esp. when it was first published (1967), it made a big spash & was a grand introduction to a fairly new way of writing (magical realism). Some passages were completely magical (no pun intended) & lyrical, but a few sections did drag a bit for me (mostly the war-related sections); perhaps I would have appreciated some sections more if I had a better knowledge of Columbian &/or South American history in general. The book partly reminds me of the great epics, tackling the age-old topics of family, love, time, generations, war, peace, prosperity, loss, etc....; it is a book of big, important themes told in the context of a multi-generational family. In the meantime, since magical realism & surrealism in writing have become more popular & prevalent during my lifetime, I think there are other works in the genre that I prefer more than this one. (I know some will consider it sacreligious for me to say that about the grandfather of magical realism.) Even so, One Hundred Years of Solitude should be on 'must read' lists, imo, as it is a modern classic; I see this one being around for many generations to come, just like the Buendía family....