Pink Boots and a Machete: My Journey From NFL Cheerleader to National Geographic Explorer - Mireya Mayor For writing, I'd probably give it 3 stars (it's a bit jumpy between chapters), but for her guts in pursuing her dream, plus her funny & practical "Vain Girl's Survival Checklist" packing guide at the end of chapter 12, I'm giving her book 4 stars. (Did you know a certain feminine product is good for starting fires or that Windex works for neutralizing flesh-eating fish bacteria? Lol.)

Mayor is a fun, inspiring author & provides a nice mix of detail, drama, wonder, mishaps, & laughter about her adventures, as well as including information about critically-endangered species. There's a nice balance of stories which make this a book to appeal to a wide range of people -- from teens looking for an inspirational leader to adventure readers to armchair travelers who vicariously enjoy extreme exploits from the comfort of home. Entertaining & inspiring, Mayor makes me (almost) want to jump into the leech- & croc-infested swamps with her.