Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs I thought this was a fairly entertaining book & enjoyed that it was built around some old, somewhat creepy photos.

The downsides:
At times, it definitely felt like a YA novel & at other times, it felt a bit older than that. The pacing was also off -- got off to a good enough start, lagged quite a bit in the middle, then picked up to lots of action at the end. The ending was so open-ended, it screams for a sequel. That in itself is not bad, I suppose, but I'm not much of a fan of series books. Also, some of the photos are never really explained or used for purposes of the story -- not sure if that's to show that there are just some things unknown by the character(s) or if it was an oversight of the author & editors.

The upsides:
The somewhat creepy photos lend the right touch to the story (though at times they seem more interesting & important than the story). I like the premise of using the unusual, thought-provoking photos & creating a unique story, a mix of adventure & time-travel w/ a bit of creepy/horror stuff thrown in. Overall, it's a fairly entertaining bit of fiction & a decent first book by Ransom Riggs. (Btw, if you like books built around photos & souvenirs from an earlier era, you might like "13, rue Therese" by Elena Mauli Shapiro &/or "The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt" by Caroline Preston.)