Mozart's Last Aria - Matt Rees I finished Mozart's Last Aria by Matt Rees. Overall, I liked it fairly well & think it would appeal to fans of historical fiction &/or Mozart fans. It would probably also appeal to those who have enjoyed Dan Brown's book as it's a bit similar in style (Masons, secret symbols, influential men, etc...).

Rees included some really lovely little touches & details that made the historic setting shine (emerald green wine; the many times that church bells ring in the city; ...). I found some of the historically accurate points quite interesting, including that Mozart belonged to the Masonic order & that he pushed for an order that would include women as equals. Otoh, the story is told from the viewpoint of Nannerl (his sister) as if she was visiting Vienna after his death in order to investigate his death/murder. Historically speaking, she never did this; even though it's historical fiction, I feel like that's a pretty big leap to make (the main action/character being fictionally put into the setting, including an illicit liasion). I guess I like my historical fiction to feel about 70% true, 30% fiction; I felt this book was more of a 50-50 mix between truth & fiction.

Overall, though, an enjoyable enough read....