Women of the Klondike - Frances Backhouse,  Foreword by Pierre Berton Finally finished my first book of 2013: "Women of the Klondike" by Frances Backhouse. I found it to be a well-written, straightforward account of women in the Klondike, mostly during the gold rush years of the late 1800s/early 1900s. Backhouse covers all types of women... adventurers who went seeking gold, journalists, entertainers (running the gamut from singers to prostitutes), nuns, nurses, teachers, accountants, secretaries, business investors & managers, tourists, & more.

This book also includes lots of nice photographs -- a very nice touch.

The version of the book I read was a later edition because the back includes an epilogue where she talks about families that contacted her after the first release of the book & provided additional info/letters/family history on some of the women in her book.

Especially fascinating if you like history, genealogy, &/or women's history.

FYI, I looked up some of Backhouse's source materials. If you are interested, one of them is currently free on amazon Kindle: "A Woman who went to Alaska" by May Kellogg Sullivan. Sullivan was briefly covered in the chapter about women who went to the Klondike mostly as tourists. I haven't read Sullivan's book (yet), but thought I'd mention it since it is currently available for free download.